Thursday, March 5

Revised Review of "Papunya Tula: Meeting Place for all Brothers and Cousins" at Foreign & Domestic Gallery (Group A)

    Papunya Tula: Meeting Place for all Brothers and Cousins at Foreign & Domestic Gallery features a group of Aboriginal artists from the western desert of Australia. The approach these artists take is to repeat abstract patterns, using organic curve lines and geometric square and diamond shapes to depict the sacred traditions of their ancestors and the beauty of nature in their ancestral homeland, Kiwirrkurra and Walungurru. The color palette is mostly red, black, and earth tones, representing the red sand desert. Although Papunya Tula is a contemporary art movement that incorporates techniques from abstract and minimalist styles, its subject matter, colors, and patterns draw inspiration from the ancient rock and cave paintings, sand art, and more traditional practices in Australia.


    The design of the exhibition provides an opportunity for each artist to express their style. Sally Nakamarra paints colorful grids representing the cave and water pond of Watunuma, one of their ancestral ruins. The short red strokes on black canvases representing the sandhills and the rocky hills are painted by Yalti Napangati. Aubrey Tjangala paints black on black, depicting body paint designs in the shape of their sacred water. Adrian Jurra Tjungurrayi paints organic dotted lines representing the bush carrot plants, and Angus Tjungurrayi paints monochromatic lines of the salt lake site of Wilkinkarra.

    This was my favorite exhibition because it honors the efforts in preserving their ancestral Dreamtime culture, a religion and mythology system before colonization, especially when their culture is not well-known in the world. The downside of combining contemporary art with traditional culture is that it becomes harder for audiences to distinguish which part is contemporary and which part is traditional. But overall, I appreciate having the opportunity to learn more about this culture from a very different part of the world.



2 comments:

  1. In the last sentence I would change it to read, Although the Papunya Tula movement is a contemporary art movement that incorporates techniques from other styles, its subject matter, colors, and patterns draw inspiration from ancient rock and cave paintings in Australia. While this edit is small it makes your review sound a tad more confident. (Just taking out clearly and changing drew to draw)I think the second paragraph causes the reader to lose interest. The sentence structure could be adjusted. For example: instead of saying “ Yalti Napangati paints short red strokes on black canvas, representing the sandhills and the rocky hills.” you could say, “the short red strokes on black canvas representing the sandhills and the rocky hills are painted by Yalti Napangati.”
    Overall I think your review is great! just minor things I noticed from my end :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really enjoyed this exhibit and thought it was a great opportunity to see art that I’ve never seen in other galleries. I also think that your point about mixing cultural art and modern art is interesting, but you did a great job deciphering what the different motifs, colors, and patterns in the paintings could represent. One thing I would like to see more of in your review is more of a critical analysis of the exhibit, such as how the pieces represent the spiritual parts of their culture, and also how the pieces might affect the viewer (or yourself) in the gallery space itself.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Rebecca Ness: Inheritance

      I found this exhibit to be a refreshing homage to life and art culture. As I passed each work I felt as though I was in on the joke, b...